Why Adoption?

Why did we forfeit all infertility treatments? Why not a surrogate? Why not try invitro? Why was our only option adoption?

I know I have heard girls say before that they had a feeling that they would never be able to get pregnant, but then they end up getting pregnant and having lots of babies. That is so wonderful! But I guess, since as long as I can remember I just knew it probably wouldn't happen. I will spare you with details, but I feel as if this was the Lords way of preparing and conditioning my heart for His plan.

Now please understand, that when my husband and I did try, we put our hearts on the line and hoped with every ounce of our being. We allowed ourselves to think it could happen and when that door was closed we evaluated what would be best and how we would pursue other options.

Right before I was going to have a hysterectomy, our doctor strongly suggested we try invitro. We also knew we could always do a surrogate. I think we weighed these options for about a day. It was that simple. I know MANY and MOST couples choose invitro and or surrogacy. I am going to share what our thought process was on this topic and please understand that this is not an attempt to force any of this on anyone. It is strictly our thought process.

For us, along with not wanting to mess with my hormones, neither one of us were prepared to play God. We believe that life begins at conception. Which means that any and all embryos that would have been created are in fact a life with a soul. Where 46 human chromosomes come together into a complex genetic design that helps determine the unique characteristics of a new individual. Here are some questions that we just weren't and didn't want to have to answer:

* What if their are embryos left over?
* What do we do with them?
* Do we place them for adoption?(Embryo adoption is also becoming more popular)
* Could we handle that?
* How many would we use?
* What if we got pregnant with multiples? What if the doctor said to "eliminate some" (aka abortion) due to risk of health of me and or babies
* What if it doesn't work? How many times are we willing to keep trying?
* What if it never works?

Our conclusion was, "why all this?" So many children are in need of homes and their our women who are willing to place their babies for adoption. To us adoption was the simplest answer.

I love what our adoption facilitator says..."One of the greatest things about adoption is not if it will happen, it is just a matter of when it will happen!"

1 comment

  1. you say it so well :) thank you for sharing and opening your heart ♥

    ReplyDelete