Why Adoption Center of San Diego

Where do you look when you decide to adopt?

Referrals of course! But where do you look when you don't know anyone who has adopted?

Google! At least that is what I did.

I started a google search for adoption agencies. Their were so many, how would we choose? To be honest I clicked on websites with the cutest babies (shallow I know). For weeks I would read through websites, read testimonies, read profiles of families waiting, read through all the questions and answers. It all sounded great and promising. So when I had narrowed my search, I started making calls and requesting more info. It was so exciting to receive the huge packets in the mail. It was like Christmas getting to open their information packets and seeing what could be our future. So with all these agencies all promising Dave and I a baby, which one would we choose?

Well,I will tell you the agency I eliminated first. It is actually the agency that kept coming up anytime I did an adoption search. The Adoption Network looked the most promising, but when I called in a December I was wanting to find out about attending an orientation. The receptionist told me that prices were going up in January so I didn't have time to wait. She sweetly offered to give me info over the phone so I could send in my payment before the price increase. This was a huge red flag to me. This was a business to them and no different than selling a car. I was treated as a paying customer. I had a hard time believing that our best interest and the interest of the birthmother was important. Dave and I weren't buying a baby!

After eliminating the largest agency, we actually had an easier time eliminating the others. When you do an independent adoption, you fill out a questionnaire on what you are looking for in a child. (I am going to write a post strictly about this sheet next time.) Depending on the agency, this sheet can be very specific or general. I immediately eliminated agencies that offered us a questionnaire that had us check certain characteristics and next to it was an additional charge. Dave and I weren't in the process to design our perfect baby. After eliminating almost all of the agencies that I knew about, I became disheartened. Was this what adoption was? I just knew this wasn't what God had for us.

Things turned around when someone at Dave's work set up meeting for him to go meet up with a co-worker in San Diego who had adopted. It was actually for Dave to do a training but it was so great how God facilitated that arrangement. Dave came home with a number of a woman who helped facilitate his adoption. When we called Sarah, the director of the Adoption Center of San Diego, their was such a huge difference. She wasn't racing to get us in the next day to collect money (although we would have done it). She wasn't asking us what kind of baby we wanted. She wanted to know about us. What led us to adoption? Why adoption? Why did we want kids?

Finally!!

We had found someone that viewed adoption as we did. Not a business, a ministry! When we went to the orientation it was so evident adoption was and is Sarah's ministry. The Adoption Center of San Diego was our perfect match! We continue to sing praises for all that Sarah and her staff has done for us.

Since then, we have adopted two children with the help of ACSD. We feel more educated about adoption, open-adoption and have a new found respect for birthmothers and their families because of our journey. If you are ever considering adoption in general, I would strongly suggest one of her orientations. She will educate you in all types of adoption and which route is best for you. You can learn more at

Another suggestion is Adoption Answer. Although we did not adopt through Adoption Answer, we now have friends that represent Adoption Answer and have a friend that adopted their daughter through them. They have an amazing ministry! You can learn more about Adoption Answer at

1 comment

  1. Thanks for sharing your journey to finding your babies. We were so, so, so, blessed to find Adoption Answer right off the bat. I had NO CLUE about all those other things that go on with other facilitators/agencies. - Rebekah W

    ReplyDelete