Buildiing our family through adoption - AGAIN

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the LORD. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts" Isaiah 55:8-9

God really has a different plan than what ours is. So let me share a little of what is goin on in our home. Well, a couple of weeks ago I attended an adoption picnic. This picnic was held by California Kids Connection where they actually bring the kids to the picnic so that we can have a chance to meet them and see some of the kids that are presently waiting for a permanent home. Although the kids are typically, older, larger sibling sets, or harder to place, our social worker asked if we would like to attend. At first I was hesitant because I really didn't think we would find a child that fit within Dave and I's "criteria". I opted to attend because I really thought it would be good to go. I will be honest, we haven't enjoyed this adoption process as much as we have enjoyed the past ones. But for the time being, we felt like this was where God led us. I really felt that I needed to go to the picnic to have the Lord break my heart and remember why we are in this process. It is for the children!!! And God calls us to take care of His children! I needed to see the faces so I could remember why we are in this particular battle. I needed to see the faces that our God loves so dearly and what we may see as hopeless situations is actually redeemable by our Lord.

Unfortunately Dave did not get to attend the picnic because he was out of town for work. I began to pray and asked others to pray before I went to this picnic. I knew I would have a hard time because as much as I would like to say we can take them all, we know that is just not possible. So I just kept reminding myself, that our God loves them more than we do and He is caring for them.

I could go in great detail as to what it was like at the picnic, but that would take forever. Their will be faces that I never forget and heartache among certain children that I will never forget. But I think that is a good thing as God continues to work in me and aligning my heart with His!! Well, as the picnic went on we were asked to interact with as many children as possible so they had a memorable experience and that maybe even for a short time, they forgot they were in a system, but rather just kids hanging out at a park. While I interacted with different kids, I will be honest with you, I was looking at the younger ones or who would look like they fit best in our home. At one point, I had to step away to recompose myself. It is a tough situation to see all of these children that are without families! As I was walking back to the picnic, I noticed a girl sitting on the outskirts of the picnic all alone. I could tell she was part of the group, but not. She sat so sweetly holding her purse. I could tell she had gotten all ready for the event but felt uncomfortable. I decided I would be "polite" and go say hi. What I didn't expect was what happened next. God drew me to her. I was just going to be polite, but I was captivated by her sincerity and sweet soul. She started asking me a ton of questions about what type of child we wanted to adopt and if we would consider an older child. I sat their and answered questions that NO child should ever have to ask. She was searching for someone to want her. As we talked I kept thinking "but we can't do a child this old. It wouldn't work. 15 isn't what we signed up for? Dave will never go for it." All these things kept running through my head, but then I kept talking to her and thinking but God, she is yours. You don't see her age as a hindrance. She is your precious little girl, so are we willing to step out of our comfort zone to give her a basic need of a family? Our we willing to let go of what we see as normal, to seek what God desires?

Later after the picnic, I couldn't wait to tell Dave all about the picnic. I told him a few stories about a few of the kids, but the one I couldn't wait to tell him about was Alaura. I wept as I told him I knew I sounded crazy for considering it, but how do you say no? She was not close to any of our criteria, but if we 100% trust God, then we needed to see if this was His will. Now please know, that as Dave and I have discussed this we know we are far from wonderful parents. We have a lot to learn. But we also know that we can offer her a hope and a future in our Lord Jesus Christ that far surpasses all of our short comings. We know He will equip us as parents for a 15 year old. As we have prayed, we have asked God to close the doors if she is not ours, but if she is, to give us a peace that surpasses all understand that only God can provide. God has done this over and over!

Well, we were matched!! Which means, we will proceed forward to transition her to our family our family over the next few week, if that is something she wants. A social worker is going to meet with her once more to make sure that is what she really wants. How long this will take, probably a few weeks. We just don't know, but we are really seeking for God's perfect timing. We are scared, excited and don't even know what we are getting into, but trusting that this is God's will and He will guide us.

So now that you have read all this, you can see why this verse just reigns true!! What we thought best, was not what God's plans were at all. His plans far exceeded our desires! His thoughts are so much higher than ours!! We are humbled and amazed! We will keep you posted.

Excitedly waiting on what God does next!!!

3 comments

  1. My tears are freely flowing while reading this. It is just beautiful. God will make all things beautiful in His time, His way, what an amazing story. What a testimony to God's love, grace and mercy to this young girl-I am so excited for you all. This is wonderful. I commit to pray for your family daily and for your new daughter and what this will mean not only for your lives but for hers. To finally after all these years know what it means to have a mom and dad and siblings that love her and accept her.
    Amazing Grace!
    I can't wait to hear how this story unfolds-to see God's hands all through this-to see His love shared and her heart mended through His love through you all.
    Hugs
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel to blessed to be walking by your side and watching God do such amazing things in your life. Your faith and testimony is utterly amazing. Alaura is so incredibly blessed not only to be matched with your family, but to also have such an amazing role model and positive influence. I can't wait to meet her and see how your family has grown! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing parents know they are not perfect. Amazing parents know that their children may not be perfect in someone elses eyse, but in Gods eyes they are. Amazing parents are open to all things God draws them to.
    Amazing parents teach their children to love God. Amazing parents teach their children about the Bible. Amazing parents stand up for what is right and teach their children to do so.
    You guys are amazing parents...don't ever sell yourself short Ashlynn!

    ReplyDelete