A new found appreciation for parenting

I am writing this really early Thanksgiving AM and I am sure their are tons of grammatical errors...

Right now we are really being challenged. This challenge has given me a new appreciation for parents and more importantly Godly parents. When I mean challenged is that right now Alaura feels the need to share every horrible situation she has encountered, experienced or done. We know it is an attempt to see if we are going to budge, react, think less of her or for just simple shock value. I knew we were going to go through this, but I honestly thought she would wait a few weeks before it started. But why not get it out now?!!!

What I am learning through all of these random discussions is the importance of parenting. Parents have such a huge impact on their children. We have an opportunity to build, encourage and instruct our children. Yet we can also break down, traumatize and hurt our children so badly that it is forever encrypted in their little minds. Just listening to Alaura, I can't fathom her life. I can't fathom how Dave and I can restore it or her broken heart. And I am thankful we don't have to. Although it can be hard for us to see now, we know that God can do all things! We have seen God working in just these few days. I have been clinging to His little tokens He has bestowed on us these last few days. Tokens that say "I am here and I am working".

(One little sweet moment was when we took her to her favorite store Forever 21 and we had her pick out a shirt for us to buy. Well, if you have been in this store you know their is a lot of clothing that is questionable. But out of all of the 100s of shirts she picked a shirt with a bible verse on it. I know it was to please us, but I had to thank God that right their He showed us that I am here, give Me control! Her desire to know God is great, it is our job to teach her His ways!)

I have always been in tune that my decisions and choices will effect my children, but now that I have a teenage girl tuned into my life to see if I am legit, I am on my knees humbled! God has revealed so much about me that I don't like. By placing Alaura in our home, God has taken my blinders off and showing me areas that are not pleasing to Him. I am sensing an urgency to let sin go in my life. We are trying to show her the love of Jesus and our lives have to reflect it in EVERY aspect!

This week this verse has just been on my heart and at the forefront of my mind..."Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: Psalm 139:23



My prayer is that in our home and yours, we would seek for God to guide us in our parenting and train our children the way God designed. Our impact is huge and the job is too great for us to carry by ourselves!! Their future depends on it!

1 comment

  1. You are a wise woman, Ashlynn. Taking in a child will definitely make us look at ourselves when we are trying to model Godliness. It is very convicting. But you don't have to be perfect, and you know you won't be. So don't be scared because when you fall short, a hug and asking for forgiveness will speak HUGE volumes!

    ReplyDelete