Did you know about Birthmother's Day?


Well, I know this post is about a month early but why not do it now? It was this time last year that I remember getting really sentimental. Our son's first birthday was approaching, his adoption was being finalized and it was going to be my first Mother's Day. Anyone can understand why I would be getting excited and emotional. But most didn't know that with my extreme excitement also came a little sadness. I had nothing to be sad about, but another woman did. I just couldn't stop thinking about Kyler's birthmother T.

Although I know T made the best decision for herself, her family, Kyler and us didn't mean she didn't hurt at times. I knew this would be one of those times. I knew that every time I would get excited about Mother's Day or Kyler's birthday, there was someone else who was reflecting on the most difficult decision of her life. Just because she placed Kyler with us, doesn't disqualify her as a mother. She may not parent him, but she will always be the mother who carried him. You may think that is weird of me to say or even wrong. But I know I am the woman Kyler will always call Mom, but she will always be the one who gave him life. I can't deny her that!

In order to acknowledge T and her decision and priceless gift we do celebrate Birthmother's Day. Most don't know about Birthmother's day, I know I had never heard of it before Kyler. I know I have never seen a Hallmark card wishing someone "A Wonderful Birthmother's Day". Have you?? So what is it you ask? Well, I am no expert but here is what I know about the day.

From what I know, Birthmother's Day was established by a group of women in Washington in 1990. It originated to help celebrate birthmother's the day before Mother's day, which can be a very difficult day. It is a day to reflect and honor the choice that was made. To give honor to the women who made the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of their child. After all, I couldn't celebrate a Mother's Day without our birthmother.

So if you may know a woman who has placed a baby for adoption recently or years ago, maybe this year can be the year that you give her honor is some way. Even if you have no idea of where she is, you still have the ability to pray and thank God for her.

4 comments

  1. At the Adoption Center of San Diego we celebrate Birthmothers Day every year. This year we will be having Flash Mobs at two different locations in San Diego. Check our our Adoption Center facebook to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year's Birthmother's Day will be my best one ever I think. I will have my baby girl as my flower girl and her mom as one of my bridesmaids! It will also be my first mother's day weekend with her and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I love how the Adoption Center of San Diego celebrates birthmothers!! You are the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amalaa, thank you so much for sharing your insight! What a wonderful day you have planned!! I love how united you and your daughter and her parents are. What a beautiful example you are to so many!

    ReplyDelete